I have prepared this dish twice so far this week. The first time we ate it by itself with a side of fruit. Tonight we ate it in lettuce wraps topped with tomatoes and sriracha and with a side of baked potato topped with a little garlic, yogurt and butter. Yum!!!
This recipe comes from Oh She Glows
Here’s the recipe:
(For the salad)
– 1 cup uncooked quinoa [pronounced KEEN – WAH] (3 cups cooked)
– 1 (15 oz.) can black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked), drained
– 1.5 cups cilantro, finely chopped (or you can use parsley)
– 3 small – medium carrots, julienned
– 4 green onions, chopped
– fine grain sea salt and black pepper to taste
(For the dressing)
– 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
– 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
– 1 large garlic clove, minced
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
– 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Put together in a pot with 1.5 cups of water or vegetable juice and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and cover with a lid. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit with the lid on for another 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, black beans, cilantro (or parsley), carrots, and green onions.
3. Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl. Pour dressing onto salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This salad is good chilled or served warm. Try it both ways and see what your favorite is. I think I like it warm best.